forrest-user mailing list archives

From Torsten Stolpmann <>
Subject Re: Recommendations for URL-based i18n like at
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 13:20:34 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

the i18n support as implemented at is a combination of
builtin forrest i18n support with some apache magic on mapping the /de/
and /en/ paths to simulated browser language preferences.

I doubt that this can be achieved with forrest settings alone for the
reasons you already pointed out below. Please note that we are using the
webcontainer based dynamic variant of forrest.

Perhaps you could generate static pages for different languages and
place them in different directories (de/en/...)? Crosslinking would
still be an issue though.

HTH, feel free to contact me if you need more information

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Forresters,
> I'm looking at Forrest for a multilingual documentation project and
> for a number of reasons (mostly to be able to dump the stuff to HTML
> files) we'd like to have the language selection visible in URLs,
> instead of using cookies or the browser's language selection.
> Digging through the archives I found references to which
> apparently uses Forrest in this way:
> With "de" and "en" selecting the language, and all links generated
> accordingly, while (I assume) having only one set of site.xml,
> tabs.xml and related files.
> My question: how to best implement this?
> Adding this matcher to my project sitemap.xmap allows me to map
> de/index.html to and fr/index.html to
>      <map:match type="regexp" pattern="(de|fr|it|en)/(.*)\.xml">
>        <map:match type="i18n" pattern="{project:content.xdocs}{2}.*.xml">
>          <map:parameter name="locale" value="{1}" />
>          ...etc
> But then there's the generation of tabs, menus etc. where I'd like to
> avoid rewriting existing Forrest pipelines, as much as possible.
> Before I dig too deep, does anyone have recommendations about how to
> best implement this? Appropriate "pipeline plugin" points? Or is that
> a standard feature that I missed completely?
> Thanks for your help,
> -Bertrand

View raw message