forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: is Forrest easilly scriptable ?
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 13:57:32 GMT
Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> Hello all at Forrest,
> this might be a crazy idea... is Forrest easiy sriptable ?
> I've used Forrest for 2 or 3 documents I've written (and I love it).
> Know I'm involved in a project that will need to automatically,
> periodically, send pdf documents as e-mail attaches to system
> administrators. Why not Forrest for the doc generation ?
> Can I easilly embedd forrest inside shell scripts ? Just gessing: 1) I
> would generate XML automatically; 2) I would generate png images
> automatically; 3) then I would invoque forrest; 4) then I would remove
> the pdf file from the 'site' sub-dir and send it by e-mail....
> Can anyone comment on this ? Is Forrest the tool I'm searching for ? or
> are there other tools (bessides Forrest) that are more adequate ?
> Size is not a problem.

I'm glad you say "sie is not a problem". Forrest is big and clunky if
all you wan tto do is send out the odd mail or two of specific files.

There are lots of options for scripting Forrest. It has a CLI, it can be
run from ANT and it has an application for automatically building sites
via a cron job.

Your use cases are too general and varied for us to be able to give
clear guidance, but in general, yes, Forrest is scriptable.

One of the big limitations of Forrest is that it is difficult to
generate single files. So if you want a single PDF to be updated, you
would have to build the whole site. This is not a problem if your site
is small, but if it is large it can be an issue. Forrest is not really
designed for one off page generation.

Having said that, there are mechnisms for limiting what pages are generated.

View raw message