forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Convert xdoc v10 to v20
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 06:12:56 GMT
Web Maestro Clay wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >>Edit src/documentation/skinconf.xml to temporarily set
> >>disable-xml-link=false. This will cause Forrest to
> >>generate an xml version of each document in document-v13
> >>format (which is still Forrest's internal format) into
> >>build/site/*.xml
> >>
> >>There are only a few changes between document-v13 and
> >>document-v20 so you could manually edit them to change
> >><link> to <a> etc. and change the document type declarations.
> >>See http://forrest.apache.org/dtdx/document-v20.html#changes-20
> >>
> >>Hope that helps.
> >
> >It helps immensely. Thanks for the help! I'll report back my
> >findings...
>
> Responding to my post...
>
> Here's the feedback I promised. I was able to get it working but I
> had to do the following:
> - had to retain document-v10.dtd files

Why?

> - had to skip processing faq.html page (need to manually update to
> document-v13 or document-v20)

I expected that.

> - had to replace <code> with [code-FIXME] since it's not in document-
> v10.dtd

It is in our version of that old DTD.

> - had to pepper a couple of other '-FIXME' items (faq.html, etc.)
>
> PROBLEMS
> ==========
> 1. Unfortunately it appears document-v13 files were *not* generated
> in build/site.xml (it looks like it merely passed the document-
> v10.xml versions across). It'd be great to get v13 files, so I can
> move forward with better compatibility.

Ah, drat. The proper document type declaration with
a Public Identifier is probably needed. Try it as described
below by adding one Batik xdoc to a fresh seed site
and set its Public Identifier.
<!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.0//EN" "document-v10.dtd">
That will cause it to use Forrest's own DTDs.
Try it in 'forrest run' or set the validation
off in forrest.properties file.

> 2. I get an error that 'images/splash.png' not found, although
> 'images/logo.gif' is found (and both files are in the same path: src/
> documentation/content/xdocs/images/).

Probably depends on how you referenced that from
your source files. See examples in 'forrest seed'.

> 3. I don't have navigation down the left. Here's a snipped of my
> site.xml file:
>
> site.xml snippet
>   <batik label="About Batik">
>     <index label="Introduction" href="index.html"
> description="Welcome to Batik"/>
>     <!--
>     <faqs label="FAQs" href="faq.html" description="Batik - FAQs
> Page"/>
>     -->
>     <!--
>     <wiki label="Wiki" href="ext:wiki" description="Batik - Wiki
> Page"/>
>     -->
>     <license label="License" href="license.html" description="Batik
> - License Page"/>
> ====

Don't know, maybe due to the above issues.
What happens if you leave some documents from
the 'forrest seed site'? Do they have their
menus? You are probably better to start with a
fresh seed site and just add one of the old
Batik documents, i.e. don't change too much at
one time.

Does your site.xml have a "<site>" element?
It is missing in your snippet above.

> tabs.xml
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!--
>   Copyright 1999-2006 The Apache Software Foundation
>   yata yata...
> -->
> <!DOCTYPE tabs PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Cocoon Documentation Tab V1.1//
> EN" "http://forrest.apache.org/dtd/tab-cocoon-v11.dtd">
>
> <tabs software="Batik"
>   title="Batik"
>   copyright="@year@ The Apache Software Foundation"
>   xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
>
>   <tab id="" label="Batik" dir="" indexfile="index.html"/>
> </tabs>
> <..>
> ====
>

> build/site/index.xml snippet
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><!DOCTYPE document SYSTEM
> "./dtd/document-v10.dtd">
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><!DOCTYPE document SYSTEM
> "./dtd/document-v10.dtd">
> <document>
>     <header>
>         <title>Batik SVG Toolkit</title>

Two xml declarations and document type declarations
or is that a typo in your email?

Also, why look at build/site/index.xml instead
of src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml

-David