forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest and CMS
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:42:40 GMT
Brian M Dube wrote:
> For those that use a CMS framework to manage a Forrest site, do you edit
> the generated files or the source files with the CMS application?

I use Daisy as a CMS and use Forrest to publish static sites. Of course
the sources come from the CMS. I'm not really sure what the advantage of
editing Forrest generated files with a CMS would be.

> I like that with Forrest I can work with source files that are marked up structurally
and I don't have to dig through presentational markup to find what I need to edit. Do I lose
this if I add, say, Lenya to the
> equation?

No

> I remember discussion of a Lenya plugin for Forrest. Or was it the other
> way around? How does that situation look regarding my first question
> above?

Recently there has also been a little work on creating a plugin to
support Lenya as a source format for a Forrest site, but it is very
early days for that plugin.

> I'm interested to hear how people use Forrest with a CMS, such as
> Lenya or Daisy.

The Daisy plugin is pretty much complete. It is still in the whiteboard
because it doesn't really have community support yet and would probably
benefit from more eyes on it. Being in whiteboard means that either it
is not complete or that there are not enough Forrest committers using it
(I believe I am the only one using it and therefore supporting it).

You may be interested to know that the Cocoon docs for 2.1.x are
generated by Forrest from a Daisy CMS.

Ross