forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Victor Okunev" <>
Subject Re: lost id attribute in embedded HTML form
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:57:40 GMT
I mostly use id attribute in HTML tags as a "name space" designator
for CSS selectors. For example, if I add the following custom style to
the skinconf.xml

#contact_form input, #contact div.label {
  background-color: #f0f0f0;

, I don't have to worry that it may affect <input> elements any place
else, besides my form. Also, I won't have naming collisions with CSS
classes defined by someone else, which is otherwise may be hard to

<form id="contact_form" .....>
    <input ...../>

Just my 2c.

-- Victor

On 3/31/06, Ferdinand Soethe <> wrote:
> I may add that I have by far not fixed all of the problems with
> swallowed attributes yet. In developing a custom skin I found a lot
> more but I haven't gotten around to commintting them all (and frankly
> I'm scared of the compatibility effects of doing so).
> Also be aware that using id-attributes can have some very unpleasant side
> effects:
> - processing will add an anchor (<a name="{id}"> to each element that uses id (in
>   theory to support referencing). However in most cases that anchor is
>   not needed and sometimes it results in rather strange html-code.
> - as another side effect of this Internet Explorer gets confused when looking for
>   an id'd element with JavaScript's document.getElementById because it
>   prefers elements with a matching name="" to elements with the (correct)
>   id="".
> So perhaps it is time rethink this whole topic of processing id's
> for local menues since most of the goals can be achieved
> in other, cleaner ways.
> --
> Ferdinand Soethe
View raw message