forrest-user mailing list archives

From Web Maestro Clay <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hiding sections
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:32:39 GMT
On Mar 20, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Web Maestro Clay wrote:
>> I have a similar need. I had thought that forrest:views[1] might
>> provide the answer to the above users and my questions, but I'm
>> not  certain.
>
> The Forrest dispatcher (nee views) is dev code so adopt with
> caution (it is maturing nicely though).
>
> However, it does not really add anything to this use case. The
> dispatcher is about deciding how a page is structured (i.e. what
> decorations there are), not really what content appears within the
> main body of the page.
>
> It would certainly be possible to do this with the dispatcher, but
> I don't think it is any easier than with the current skinning system.
>
> I would approach this in one of two ways:
>
> a) use CSS to hide the relevant sections - in this case your
> different outputs of the site would simply use a different
> stylesheet. The disadvantage is that all the content is visible if
> a user does "view source". Use a different forrest.properties file
> for each different version, in which the extra-css element contains
> your additional CSS classes.
>
> b) create a custom skin in which unwanted content is stripped out
> according to a parameter passed in via the sitemap. The advantage
> here is content is not present in the client, so only the content
> intended for users can be seen with "view source". However, this
> approach is much more difficult to implement and requires fairly
> detailed knowledge of the internals of Forrest.
>
> Ross

Thanks Ross! I noticed that there wasn't much information about
forrest:views... and it makes sense that it's been moved to something
else. I'll have to decide which approach to use. They both have their
pluses & minuses. I'm not concerned so much about hiding content from
the user (so it can be in the source).

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet