forrest-user mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <webmaes...@mac.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Plugin List styling problem
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:33:18 GMT
On Mar 24, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:

>>> That sounds like a good solution. If you figure out how to do
>>> this  then a patch for the docs would be welcome.
>> Editing Default Styles - NeoWiki (from the NeoOffice/J project)
>> http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Editing_Default_Styles
>> The main problem I have with this solution, is that it now starts
>> with a page full of Forrest stuff (it contains all the content of
>> openoffice-writer.sxw, rather than just its styles.
>> Any ideas to improve this?
>
> When the original plugin was created the intention was to use a
> template rather than a document. I remember there being a problem
> with this, but can't remember what it is - will be in the dev
> archives.
>
> If the  problem with tempaltes still exists you could create a
> "Forrest" blank document as your seed. You'll still have to do a
> "Save As" to give it your own name though.
>
> Ross

I think you're referring to a problem you and I troubleshooted
(troubleshot?) in 2004. The ultimate 'solution' I ended up using was
to start from the openoffice-writer.sxw file for *each* document.
This required retaining the Forrest content to ensure the styles
remained available. This was unwieldy. Why? Because (for example) as
soon as the content styled as 'Forrest:Note' was deleted and the
document saved, the 'Forrest:Note' style was no longer available to
the document--even if some content styled as Forrest:Note was pasted
in from another document).

I think this is primarily a OpenOffice.org issue. Nevertheless, it
dramatically affects it's value. It's possible that OOo 2.x fixes
this problem (I'm going to analyze this further).

Clay Leeds
webmaestro@mac.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet