forrest-user mailing list archives

From Web Maestro Clay <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hiding sections
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:02:40 GMT
On Mar 20, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Flavio Cordova wrote:
> Is there a way to set any attribute (or something else) to a section
> so I could omit it when using forrest site or forrestbot, based on a
> parameter ?
>
> Today I use forrest to create an application's user manual. Most of
> the information I use to create this documentation is based on use
> cases specifications, but this specification has some information that
> aren't appropriated to end users. So today I keep two different
> documents, one for developers and other for end users (this last one
> using forrest)..
>
> So I'd like to unify these two documents and keep it all on Forrest's
> format... then, developers will see the full content while end users
> will receive the same files without some sections...

I have a similar need. I had thought that forrest:views[1] might
provide the answer to the above users and my questions, but I'm not
certain.

In my case, I wanted to enable a system where information could be
collapsed for end users, but they could click the Heading to toggle
visibility:
<h3 onclick="document.getElementById
("someAdvancedUserContent").style.visibility == 'collapse' ?
document.getElementById("someAdvancedUserContent").style.visibility =
'visible' : document.getElementById
("someAdvancedUserContent").style.visibility = 'collapse';">heading
for advanced user content</h3>
style="visibility:collapse;">advanced user content</div>

Perhaps I could control the visibility through some sort of CLASS
suffix. There is also the problem of alternative outputs (e.g., PDF),
where this system might have problems. In the case of PDF, a setting
could be available in skinconf.xml to give the option of omitting the
hidden sections, or enable them.

Am I understanding forrest:views correctly? Or is there more to it?

[1] forrest:views (Draft - feature planned for 0.8)
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/views.html

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet