forrest-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: Forrest as Windows-Service: Solution Firedeamon
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:57:17 GMT
Hi!

With 'forrest war' (and friends) you create a webapp that you may
deploy in Tomcat but it is necessary to re-create it everytime
there are changes in the XML sources.

Having 'forrest run' as a service the well-known and excellent
in-place editing and on-demand rendering features [1] of Forrest
work still the same. (End of advertisement)

See also the following threads
  http://tinyurl.com/l74a6
  http://tinyurl.com/z4bgv
(both on http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/forrest-user/)

Cheers
Johannes

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/your-project.html#webapp

Gunther Sablon wrote:
> Hi again,
> apparently http://forums.firedaemon.com/viewtopic.php?t=65 describes the
> differences between the two solutions.
> Regards,
> Gunther
>
> Gunther Sablon wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I am not sure if this solves the same problem, but in my opinion there
>> is a non commercial solution.
>> If you run forrest as a webapp inside Tomcat, I think it is possible
>> to start Tomcat as a service.
>> See http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/JavaServiceWrapper.
>> Regards,
>> Gunther
>>

>> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All!
>>>
>>> We found a little program (commercial, though: $US 35) that
>>> starts even batch files as windows service: Firedaemon [1].
>>>
>>> I checked it with Forrest (see screen shots in attachment)
>>> and it works in live mode ('forrest run'), great!
>>>
>>> We (i.e. our customers) use it to deploy Forrest on a central
>>> server without the need to leave the DOS box open.
>>>
>>> Maybe somebody else may find it useful, too.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Johannes
>>>

>>> [1] http://www.firedaemon.com/index.php

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de