forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: lost id attribute in embedded HTML form
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:09:15 GMT

I may add that I have by far not fixed all of the problems with
swallowed attributes yet. In developing a custom skin I found a lot
more but I haven't gotten around to commintting them all (and frankly
I'm scared of the compatibility effects of doing so).

Also be aware that using id-attributes can have some very unpleasant side
effects:

- processing will add an anchor (<a name="{id}"> to each element that uses id (in
  theory to support referencing). However in most cases that anchor is
  not needed and sometimes it results in rather strange html-code.

- as another side effect of this Internet Explorer gets confused when looking for
  an id'd element with JavaScript's document.getElementById because it
  prefers elements with a matching name="" to elements with the (correct)
  id="".

So perhaps it is time rethink this whole topic of processing id's
for local menues since most of the goals can be achieved
in other, cleaner ways.

--
Ferdinand Soethe