forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: STRUTS
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:15:16 GMT
El lun, 27-03-2006 a las 14:06 +0000, Jim Douglas escribió:
> >From: Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler@wyona.com>
> >To: user@forrest.apache.org
> >Subject: Re: STRUTS
> >Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:10:08 +0200
> >
> >El dom, 26-03-2006 a las 16:09 +0000, Jim Douglas escribió:
> > > I have a STRUTS base app and want to integrate it with Forrest.
> > >
> > > What Forrest config file would I need to modify to point to my STRUTS
> > > actions?
> >
> >Hi Jim.

Hi again ;)

> >That depends.
> >
> >There is *no* standard way to connect Struts with Cocoon.

you know http://struts.sourceforge.net/struts-cocoon/index.html?

BTW funny enough that the site is using forrest ;) jeje

> >What are you trying to archive?
>
> I just want to connect the struts actions to the tabs and menus on the top
> and left.

Just as links? Or the action forms?

BTW which Struts version are you using?

> >Can you keep 2 different apps (struts and forrest) on two different
> >ports?
>
> Would they have to be on different ports if I integrate into one webapp?

If you want to integrate them like "marry them", then this thread has to
be discussed on dev (I happly answer there in detail).

Basicly you need to patch
./main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
and add/declare the struts app.

...more on dev (if you want). ;)

> >What are your actions are doing? You are aware that using actions would
> >mean to use forrest in dynamic mode?
>
> I have and input form to capture data and I also generate dynamic HTML based
> on input from the users.  I am using dynamic mode

Last time I had a couple of struts actions I just extracted all helper
methods from the action classes and reduced the action to a minimum. I
needed the action in another struts application and in lenya. I wrote
a lenya usecase as replacement for the action class (doing the exact
same thing via the helper classes) and used jx for the form (as jsp view
ersatz), but that was with Apache lenya (as well cocoon based) and not
actually here in forrest.

I reckon if you are not married to the code something in flow and cform
may fit. ...but nobody yet have done something with flow and cform in
forrest AFAIK. ;)

> >Do you want to get rid of struts-config.xml or want to keep it?
>
> I think I want to keep it.  It seems this would be the most flexible option.

That means you need to marry forrest with struts and have different
servlet-mappings in the web.xml.

> >Are you using old fashion skins or the dispatcher? Are you using shale?
>
> Skins.  No Shale.

ok.

Do you want the skin applied to your jsp views or do you want them
unskined?

> >BTW with the dispatcher it is quite simple to connect forrest with
> >what-so-ever.
>
> Is the Dispacher available in 0.7?

In 0.7 there is the dispatcher prototype (called views) but I do not
recommend to use it. The dispatcher matured heaps. ;)

In 0.8-dev the dispatcher is still in the whiteboard and it seems it
will leave it in 0.9-dev (after the 0.8 release). The grammar has
stabilized, but we still need more usecsases. ;)

> When do you think .8 will be available?

I hope soon. ;)

See the current momentum on dev.

salu2