forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: Testing dispatcher
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:10:20 GMT
Hi Brian,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian M Dube" <brian.dube@gmail.com>
To: <user@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:56 AM
Subject: Testing dispatcher

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the cross-post. Perhaps the dev list was the wrong place to send
> this one.

I would say it is the right list as you are talking about 0.8-dev a work
in progress that most users would not have experience with just yet.
The delay in answering is just one of those 'everyone is busy' or away
periods I guess. Anyway ...

> I'm working to recreate a custom Forrest 0.7 skin with the 0.8-dev
> dispatcher.
>
> I started by modifying the blank contract template to get some test
> output. I encounter the following error message:
>
> ---
> dispatcherError: 500 - Internal server error
> The contract "content" has thrown thrown an exception by resolving raw
> data from "cocoon://index.body.xml".
>
> dispatcherErrorStack:
>  org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document following the
> root element must be well-formed.
> ---
>
> When I inspect the result of index.body.xml, I can see why it's
> complaining. The root element of the output is the empty tag <meta-data/>,
> followed by the content. In 0.7 the skin's document-to-html (or
> document2html) stylesheet inserted the meta-data tag; what's doing it now?
> Is the skin system still active when using the dispatcher? I'm not sure
> how the dispatcher interacts with skins. I don't have a skin set in
> forrest.properties for this test.

I would start by first of all, having a working dispatcher version
of seed-sample, once you know this works, then you and we know
that Forrest and the Dispatcher is set up correctly. Saying you started
with a 'blank contract template' leaves a lot of holes as to what dispatcher
preparation you did to get to that point.

I just looked at a index.body.xml of an unmodified pelt theme from
seed-sample
and it looks just fine.

A great place to start is to follow
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-dispatcher-quickstart.html -
should get you up and running in no time. Once this is working
then you can set about creating your own 'theme' to replace your current
skin.

I am guessing your problem above is you missed out a step in being
dispatcher ready,
probably something to do with not applying the patch from
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-796

To create your own theme, copy pelt.fv and the pelt theme directory and
rename to your own, then make your changes. Apply the changes by replacing
'project.theme=pelt' with 'project.theme=yourThemeName' , restart jetty and
try again. When this works you can concentrate on altering your theme.fv and
all its CSS and .ft files to suit you. You can copy any files from
common/html into yourTheme/html and alter them there to be specific to your
project, otherwise they fallback to common.
We are here to help at any stage of this if you need it.