forrest-user mailing list archives

From Louis.Mast...@log-net.com
Subject Re: forrest site fails
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:44:18 GMT
I use a validating editor (JEdit) to edit my Forrest XML files.  It tells
me immediately if I violate the DTD and also where I have broken it.  This
saves me a lot of time debugging my files.
-Lou

Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
02/06/2006 08:39 AM
Please respond to
user@forrest.apache.org

user@forrest.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: forrest site fails

arthur thompson wrote:

(please do not send HTML mails to a public list, many users do not use
HTML aware mail clients, some archives become difficult to read and it
adds unnecessary bloat to the mail)

>     You'll have to tell us why it fails. What is the error reported in
the
>     console output - it is most likely a broken link, in which case you
>     will
>     find more info the broken-links.xml file in the site root.
>
>     i get errors like:
>     "communication.xml is not a valid XML document"

For Forrest to work it must have a valid XML source document. When
running "forrest site" this a validation check is done (it can be done
manually by running "forrest validate"). If any problems are found then
they are reported.

In "forrest run" these validation checks are not done because files can
be edited in real time, and therefreo errors introduced after the
initial validation check.

Your XML is clearly well-formed since you say it is working OK in
forrest run, however it is not valid according to your chosen DTD.

It is possible to turn off this validation in forrest.properties.
However, caution must be taken in this apprach since it will not
guarentee acceptable results for all output formats.

Ross