forrest-user mailing list archives

From Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cyriaque.Dupoiri...@pcotech.fr>
Subject Re: Horizontal layout, FOP Tables, FOP Index and Dynamic content (was : no subject)
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:55:32 GMT
(Can you put a pertinent subject please, it is important for the mail
archive...)

Hirrein1@aol.com a écrit :
> (The questions I'm about to ask may be offtopic; the problem is that I'm  very
> new to a lot of this and hence don't know where to ask my questions.
> Redirects
> and LARTings will be gladly accepted, similarly appreciated, and  gratuitously
> thanked.)
>
> First, is there any way to tell Forrest about the *horizontal* layout of  a
> page? Basically what I want is to be able to have graphical stuff  surrounded
> by text on a page, like the "Demonstration" example on the FOP  homepage.

First - What version of forrest are you using ?
(Can you give the url so that we can better see what you need ?)
The current developpment version of forrest is very customisable if you
know XSL transformations...

> Second, is there a way to tell FOP that I don't want the tables in my  PDF
> documents to occupy the entire width of the page? I'm trying to save page
> space
> in the printed version of my document, and having tables span the  entire
> width
> of the page when they don't need to is rather wasteful. I'll  gladly follow a
> redirect to the FOP user list if it's appropriate.

I think you should have a look to the
$FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/skins/common/xslt/fo/document-to-fo.xsl
edit the file, find the following lines :
    <xsl:variable name="column-width">
      <xsl:value-of select="6.25 div number($max-number-columns)"/>in
    </xsl:variable>
And change the 6.25 (I have not tested it !)

> Third, is there some way to create an index with page numbers like found in
> the
> back of most books?

It is the case in the generated pdf files.

> Fourth, and I apologise for the broad nature of this question, but I'm
> really new
> to this part especially. Where can I go to learn about mixing  dynamic content
> and Forrest document-v2.0 XML? I've gotten very simple XSP to  work, but the
> only
> thing output was the dynamic content (a "Hello, world!",  basically), without
> any
> of the Forrest navigation or other good stuff.

I don't understand what you did, sorry.
If your version is the 6 or more, maybe you can try the
org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf plugin in order to integrate
skinned php - with forrest navigation ... - pages.

> I thank you for your time and greatly appreciate any response you may  choose
> give.

HTH,
Cyriaque,