forrest-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: AW: forrest on Windows as background process
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:20:32 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:

>> It does not seem to be a trivial task :-(
>>

>>> I would try service wrappers like http://jsrvany.sourceforge.net/
>>

>> Thanks for the pointer, I guess I want to try
>>   "... the java wrapper provided by
>>    http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org
>>    to provide jetty as an Win32 service."
>> since it comes with Jetty 4.2.25 (extra/win32)
>>
>> Next problem is that I'm no ant expert and I'm not able to decypher
>> how to start 'forrest run' as a jetty app without using forrest.bat
>> Can anyone bridge the gap and give me a commandline like
>>
>>  >java org.mortbay.jetty.Server ...
>>
>> maybe plus some environment variables (CLASSPATH and the lot).
>
> I wrote some code for the Eclipse plugin that does all that. I'd
> recommend starting your investigation at [1] (in particular starting at
> the line "monitor.subTask("Starting Server")".
>
> This builds the classloader etc. for the Eclipse execution environment.
> It's a long time since I wrote the code but I'm pretty sure the majority
> of code is not dependant on Eclipse, it's only the actual execution code

Can you confirm that I read the code correctly?
Why do you call 'ant ... init' first?

1. Invoke ant with
   -Dproject.home=%WORKING_DIR% \
   -Dbasedir=%FORREST_HOME%/main \
   -Dforrest.home=%FORREST_HOME% \
   init
2. Invoke jetty with
   %JETTY_CONF%/jettyconf.xml \
   %FORREST_CORE_WEBAPP% \
   %FORREST_ENDORSED_LIB% \
   %WORKING_DIR% \
   %CLASSPATH%

quite sure about
WORKING_DIR  = project directory (where forrest.properties live)
FORREST_HOME = forrest installation directory
JETTY_CONF   = based on WORKING_DIR or wherever jettyconf.xml lives
CLASSPATH containing pratically all *.jar files within Forrest?!

guessing
FORREST_CORE_WEBAPP  = FORREST_HOME/main
FORREST_ENDORSED_LIB = FORREST_HOME/lib/endorsed

Thanks
Johannes

> that is Eclipse dependant and I'm guessing your wrapper stuff above will
> deal with that.
>
> Ross
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse/job/ForrestRunner.java

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de