forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: forrest on Windows as background process
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:05:25 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

>>>I'm not a windows user so can't help directly. But the windows
>>>terminology (I believe) is to run Forest as a "service".
>>>
>>>Perhaps that will help in a web search or prompt some windows
>>>users with better knowledge than I to tell us what they know
>>>(even if it is that I am incorrect in my assumptions).
>

> It does not seem to be a trivial task :-(
>

>>I would try service wrappers like http://jsrvany.sourceforge.net/
>

> Thanks for the pointer, I guess I want to try
>   "... the java wrapper provided by
>    http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org
>    to provide jetty as an Win32 service."
> since it comes with Jetty 4.2.25 (extra/win32)
>
> Next problem is that I'm no ant expert and I'm not able to decypher
> how to start 'forrest run' as a jetty app without using forrest.bat
> Can anyone bridge the gap and give me a commandline like
>
>  >java org.mortbay.jetty.Server ...
>
> maybe plus some environment variables (CLASSPATH and the lot).

I wrote some code for the Eclipse plugin that does all that. I'd
recommend starting your investigation at [1] (in particular starting at
the line "monitor.subTask("Starting Server")".

This builds the classloader etc. for the Eclipse execution environment.
It's a long time since I wrote the code but I'm pretty sure the majority
of code is not dependant on Eclipse, it's only the actual execution code
that is Eclipse dependant and I'm guessing your wrapper stuff above will
deal with that.

Ross

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse/job/ForrestRunner.java