forrest-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: AW: forrest on Windows as background process
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:24:13 GMT

Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> We need to run a forrest server as background process on Win-XP.
>>> On Unix we can do 'forrest run&'.
>>>
>>> How can I achieve this on Windows?
>> I'm not a windows user so can't help directly. But the windows
>> terminology (I believe) is to run Forest as a "service".
>>
>> Perhaps that will help in a web search or prompt some windows
>> users with better knowledge than I to tell us what they know
>> (even if it is that I am incorrect in my assumptions).

It does not seem to be a trivial task :-(

> I would try service wrappers like http://jsrvany.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the pointer, I guess I want to try
  "... the java wrapper provided by
   http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org
   to provide jetty as an Win32 service."
since it comes with Jetty 4.2.25 (extra/win32)

Next problem is that I'm no ant expert and I'm not able to decypher
how to start 'forrest run' as a jetty app without using forrest.bat
Can anyone bridge the gap and give me a commandline like

 >java org.mortbay.jetty.Server ...

maybe plus some environment variables (CLASSPATH and the lot).

Thanks
Johannes

> Tomcat itself uses also a service wrapper, but I dont know which one.
>
> Jan

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de