forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest-0.7 webapp crashes tomcat
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:10:37 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Johannes Schaefer escribi??:
> >> 15.02.2006 19:12:30 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig
> >> applicationWebConfig
> >> SCHWERWIEGEND: Parse error in application web.xml file at
> >> jndi:/localhost/WEB-INF/web.xml
> > SCHWERWIEGEND: Parse error in default web.xml
> > org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> > org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger (Caused by
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger) (Caused by
> >

> > It seems that the logging is causing the problem.
> >
> > Are you sure that the web.xml is configured correctly regarding the
> > location of the log kit?
>
> No, I'm not sure not at all. I don't have a clue what it does.

See the location specified in web.xml (our default is
WEB-INF/logkit.xconf).

Normally one would tweak logkit.xconf to set the
logging level for certain categories (e.g. locationmap)
and watch the WEB-IF/logs during development.
http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#logs

> there it says:
>     We made the init-param "force-property" empty (default it had the value
>     "org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger").
>     Without doing so the webapp didn't start up.
>
> I did so (most of the time), then adapted it in my local forrest-HEAD
> and forgot about forrest-0.7.

So are you saying that that fixed your problem?

> Is it safe to commit this change to
>
>   forrest-HEAD/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
>
> or will it break something else?

Dunno. Need to try the above log settings in the
'forrest run' mode and with other servlet containers.

I tried to test 'forrest war' in a full version
of Jetty (4, 5, 6) but cannot get any 0.8-dev forrest
to work.

Adding your change to forrest-0.7 seemed to have the
logging still working (i only tested with Jetty-4).
So your change seems okay.

I looked at the current Cocoon head of their trunk
and this setting is now commented-out.

However we don't use the head of their trunk, rather
we use a older revision which still does have that setting.
Not sure if that means anything, just an observation.

-David