forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pdf generation breaks
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 03:44:03 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Joao Miguel Ferreira escribi??:
> > Ross,
> >
> > thanks for the instructions. please read on bellow

> > > Yes, Forrest will handle both of these by default.
> >
> > ok

> > > This is a very old version of Forrest, it would make sense for you to
> > > upgrade to the most recent version as, of course, it is more stable and
> > > you will find it much easier to get complete support here on the user
> > > lists. Most of us can't remember issues from 2-3 years ago (and may devs
> > > weren't here then).
> >
> > I'll do that... can I trust that new versions of Forrest are compatible
> > with my v0.5.1//document-v12.dtd documents ???

Yes.

> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_60/upgrading_06.html
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/upgrading_07.html
> You need to read the above links to convert you currently used format to
> the recent supported.

The only thing that really needs to be upgraded is
the skinconf.xml and the forrest.properties as discussed
in the upgrading_07.html

You *do not* need to change the document format.
Forrest will happily continue to process document-v1.2
We have some of those still in our "site-author".

> You will find:
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_60/upgrading_06.html#dtd
> "Changes from V1.3 to V2.0
> =========================
> document      - Renamed <link> to <a>
>               - Removed <fork> and <jump>.
> faq           - Renamed <part> to <faqsection>
>               - @title attribute on <faqs> is now a nested
>                 <title> element
>               - Same changes as in document between 1.3 and 2.0
> changes       - Same changes as in document between 1.3 and 2.0
> howto         - Same changes as in document between 1.3 and 2.0
> todo          - Same changes as in document between 1.3 and 2.0"
>
> This elements have changed.
>
> > > However...
> > >
> > > Do the following:
> > >
> > > - cd $PROJECT_HOME
> > > - forrest run
> > > - http://localhost:8888/path/to/file/with/broken/image.pdf
> >
> > I get something similar to the command-line error, but in HTML. Here
> > goes (copy, paste from browser):
> > Internal Server Error
> > Message: null
> > Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet
> > Source: Cocoon Servlet
> > Request URI
> > samples/sample.pdf
> > cause
> > org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: No meaningful layout in block after many attempts.
 Infinite loop is assumed.  Processing halted.
> > request-uri
> > /samples/sample.pdf
> > Apache Cocoon 2.1.2
>
> Yeah, seeing the cocoon version you really need to update. ;-) Like said
> above I am pretty sure your problem have been solved in 0.7.
>
> > > Now, inspect the logs that have been recorded in
> > > $PROJECT_HOME/build/webapp/WEB-INF/logs/
> > >
> > > In particular you are interested in error.log an core.log
> > >
> > > Post any parts that look like they may be relevant to the generation of
> > > your image in the PDF file.
> >
> > ok, I found them... dispite I know somethings about Java the info in
> > those files for me is Chinese !! Sorry. There are references to the same
> > problem (as reported on the command line) like this:

> > org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: No meaningful layout in block after
> > many attempts.  Infinite loop is assumed.  Processing halted.
> > 	at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.layout(Block.java:140)
> > 	at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.layout(Block.java:257)
> > 	at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.AbstractFlow.layout(AbstractFlow.java:154)
> > 	at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.AbstractFlow.layout(AbstractFlow.java:110)
> > 	at
> > org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.makePage(PageSequence.java:400)
> > 	at
> > org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.format(PageSequence.java:338)
> > 	at org.apache.fop.apps.StreamRenderer.render(StreamRenderer.java:262)
> > 	at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.endElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:223)
> > 	at
> > org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.endElement(AbstractXMLPipe.java:147)
> >
> > and this:

> > WARN    (2006-02-01) 14:28.11:961   [core.manager] (/samples/sample.pdf)
> > PoolThread-4/ExcaliburComponentManager: Attempted to release a
> > org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ComponentsSelector
> > but its handler could not be located.
> >
> > WARN    (2006-02-01) 14:28.11:961   [core.manager] (/samples/sample.pdf)
> > PoolThread-4/ExcaliburComponentManager: Attempted to release a
> > org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ComponentsSelector
> > but its handler could not be located.
> >
> > should I attach the two files ??
>
> No, please update.

Well, forrest-0.5.1 should work. Joao Miguel said that
the 'forrest seed site' worked. Did you try that as i
suggested to add extra <figure> elements to the
'forrest seed site' samples.xml file?

Joao Miguel, try removing the <figure> elements from
your samples.xml file. I want to see if the PDF document
has other problems besides the images.

-David