David Crossley wrote:
Helena Edelson wrote:

does it has to be *in* the xdocs? Or is it that is coming just
afterward? Is it xdocs itself, if so did you try a "simple" cinclude on
the xdocs (before skining)?

Do you mean implement a c_include on the xdocs (before skining)? in the
skin?
Would need to set up some control since the content I'm trying to get
into a document is different or not needed for each.

Yes the include mechanisms would operate before skinning,
at the content gathering stage.

Another way would be to create a project sitemap to add the content
(before skinning). The sitemap can deal with adding different content
for different URL patterns.

Will this input into the entire "content" zone of the skin or
sort of inject it into part of the content zone
    (defining content as being from skin.body template
    which I think does not include the other templates such as menu or footer)
There was a example about this recently on the mailing lists.
The user was over-riding the core *.html pipeline for certain
docs. The relevant aggregation happens around line 508 of
$FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/sitemap.xmap in forrest_07_branch
and the subsequent match. You would need to copy this to your
project sitemap and add an extra map:part for your new content
nugget. See the recent mailing list example.

  <map:match pattern="asx-announce.xml">
    <map:aggregate element="watchlist-and-tables">
      <map:part src="{project:resources}/watchlist-asx.xml"/>
      <map:part src="cocoon:/get-asx-announce-today"/>
     </map:aggregate>
[1] <map:transform src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/asx-announce-to-internal.xsl" />
    <map:serialize type="xml-document"/>
  </map:match>
  <map:match pattern="get-asx-announce-today">
    <map:generate type="html" src="http://asx.com.au/asx/statistics/todayAnnHeaders.jsp" />
    <map:transform src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/asx-announce-today-to-table.xsl" />
    <map:serialize type="xml"/>
  </map:match>

The stylesheet at [1] produces Forrest internal xdoc format.

That is very cool. I see what you mean.
[ snip ]

Well, not in this instance. I was thinking about a php app, or some java
things where there is a string config file for instance,
allowing you to get fields into the content area (xdocs), but there is
code controling what goes where when, which xdocs content won't.

There are ways to get extra content into the xml stream
before the skinning stage, using Cocoon sitemap aggregation.
See above.

As you can see, it will be a lot easier with the new Dispatcher.

                        --oOo--

yes, recently worked on ftp xml for big external product catalog input before skinning. But I might be able to get the same result
using the example above if the extrernal URL is not to convoluted. Works, but not a long term solution.

You implement multiple sitemaps per project as the f7/main/webapp does?
helena
Everything that you want to do can be done with the
existing Forrest.

-David