forrest-user mailing list archives

From Helena Edelson <hel...@greenjaguar.com>
Subject Re: FW: Re: common+skins document2html.xsl questions
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 01:39:20 GMT
Well, that does it. Dispatcher sounds great, Looking forward to becoming
familiar with it for solving some things.
I appreciate your answers - really needed to see if I was off on some
extreme tangent for no reason, or
just off on a tangent...with some  app design decisions to make.

Thanks for clearing that up so patiently. :-)

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>El dom, 22-01-2006 a las 17:27 -0500, Helena Edelson escribió:
>

>>Thorsten -
>>I won't get into the Dispatcher here, so I'm sending it to user@FAO.
>>

>;-) I thought so.
>

>>  Do you mean implement a c_include on the xdocs (before skining)?
>>

>Yes, I thought about that, but since you need to add stuff that is not
>valid xdocs 2.0, what I understood from what you describe further down,
>you can not use it.
>

>>Would need to set up some control since the content I'm trying to get
>>into a document is different or not needed for each.
>>

>Yeah, you end up adding transformers with custom xsl that control when
>to cinclude stuff and override core pipes in your project. Real messy to
>maintain and not trivial to do.

>So actually it would not be possible to transform this into xdocs prior
>the inclusion right? Then you need to implement it in the
>document-to-html.xsl but like said above and already noticed by yourself
>it will become the maintenance hell.

>>>That sounds like you want to include another language in the content,
>>>right?
>>>

>>Well, not in this instance. I was thinking about a php app, or some
>>java things where there is a string config file for instance,
>>allowing you to get fields into the content area (xdocs), but there is
>>code controling what goes where when, which xdocs content won't.
>>

>Yeah, that exact problem is addressed by the dispatcher but I cannot
>think about an easy way to imitate this behavior. Further the dispatcher
>focus not so much on xdocs but rather react on requests. Meaning you can
>generate a html file for a request where no xdocs can be found.

>>>Yes, that is why I started the work on the dispatcher aka views. Here
>>>you can easily define custom business services that you can include and
>>>process in your output.
>>>

>>I get  error:ext:lenya-zone for the resulting URL.
>>class="fork">lenya.zones.apache.org</a>
>>
>>?
>>

>jeje, sorry, like I stated it is the lenya docu so if you want to use
>the exact markup you would need to add (to your site.xml):

ah, that is what I thought but didn't do.
That it first needed to be plugged in there, thanks.

><external-refs>
> <lenya-zone href="http://lenya.zones.apache.org"/>
></external-refs>
>
>Otherwise just try:
>class="fork">lenya.zones.apache.org</a>
>

>>Is it worth waiting on this and helping to test the Dispatcher?
>>

>IMO that is the best you could do. You have reached a point that I had
>when I decided that we need something more powerful then skins.
>

>>I've been trying everything off an on for a while now.
>>no luck yet.
>>

>Yeah, because it is not trivial at all.

Yes, it's rather massive. I could never figure out how to solve the
maintainability or reusability issue without a mass of very strange
solutions.
Not the road to go down.
Which after trying many tests over a few months, finally
drove me to check here - this user list is like pulling out your gps to
figure out
if you're in the right spot or horribly lost!

helena