forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xml feed input
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:05:49 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El vie, 13-01-2006 a las 15:56 -0500, Helena Edelson escribió:
>
>>Is there an existing mechanism in Forrest .7 or .8 to get xml data feeds
>>from ftp sites and parse the data?
>>

> Hmm, like always first thing pots into to my mind is the dispatcher. You
> can define any url where data can come from via the dataUri.

The dispatcher should be used if you want such content to be included
within a page that contains other content. Even then, the actual
location of the file should be defined in the locationmap (more below).

However, the dispatcher is not ready for users and is not yet stable code.

> Second thing is the locationmap and third the sitemap.

You could do it in the sitemap but that is the "old" method. If you are
using 0.7 this is your only option (see Thorsten mail for info on how).

If you are prepared to work with 0.8-dev then you should use the
locationmap. The 0.8-dev release is now pretty stable, we are in the
process of polishing before the next release.

In 0.8-dev the correct is via the locationmap. This code is stable, in
fact it has been available since the 0.5 release, but t is only in the
0.8-dev cycle that we have started to document it and polish it.

However, we have not (as far as I am aware) tested the locationmap with
ftp servers. There is no reason why it shouldn't work. We can help guide
you on the dev list.

Documentation for the locationmap is at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/locationmap.html

Ross