forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: the connection
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:53:37 GMT
Helena Edelson wrote:
> Hi,
> What is actually reading the data?
> I am trying to understand if there is more extendability for the
> parameters, for example:
> forrest.validate.skinconf.includes=${skinconf-file}
> i.e. what in the Forrest engine is parsing and using this or is it Cocoon? is a mixture of properties used during the
initialisation of the application and during the actually execution.

The validate properties, like the one you select as an example, are used
by the ANT script that runs Forrest. Others, such as "" are
made available at runtime via a Cocoon Input Module, which is configured
in the forrest.xconf file.

> Taking the question a step further, is it possible then to define new
> settings in
> example:
> *${project.content-dir}/content/data*
> and if so how might this be referenced in sitemap?

Add your property to If you want to provide a
default setting add it to FORREST_HOME/main/

Now find the following element in

<component-instance name="project"

Inside this element there is a <valued> element. Add the following as a
child of that element:

Now you can access the value in your sitemap as {project:data}

Couple of points to note:

1 - Forrest must be restarted to register these changes.
2 - When upgrading Forrest the changes to forrest.xconf will be lost,
make a local backup as soon as you have it working (something like
local.forrest.xconf.backup), this way, it doesn't matter if you forget
during upgrade, you will still have a copy.

There is a new config system being developed in 0.8-dev that will
simplify this process and allow projects to arbitrarily add properties
without editing core files. It is currently working in SVN head, if you
are interested join us on the dev list.

View raw message