forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [ Re: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool]]
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:27:09 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>
> >>You don't have to build anything, just download a binary distribution,
> >>this is more misinformation.
> >
> >Actually, sorry to say Ross, this time you are
> >spreading the mis-information. The Incubator docs
> >are very clear about using the current forrest_07_branch.
> >
> OK, sorry, I didn't realise there were bug fixes in the branch. If they
> are critical we should consider a 0.7.1 release. If they are only for
> Incubator (and they stay with Forrest) we should consider providing
> "stable snapshots" (see thread on dev).

The trouble is that we might need even more modifications.
We would already probably be up to 0.7.2 if we took
that approach. Forrest project is too small to cope
with that. Perhaps your "stable snapshots" idea will work.
More on dev.

> >>correspond
> >>
> >>You know I don't know what they mean either. I never bothered to find
> >>out because I never needed to know and I never saw a user question that
> >>involved them.
> >
> >They are explicitly explained in the build output
> >and there is a nice FAQ about it. I find them
> >extremely useful and would like them to remain.
> They are explained in the FAQ, but not in the build output:
> # Column 2 is the page count - the number of pages processed and the
> number remaining. The latter will change because during processing one
> page, Cocoon will discover more.
> # Column 3 is the number of links that were gathered from that page.
> (I'm guessing Leo was actually referring to the second two columns since
> he refers to numbers and the first is indeed explained in the build output)

Ah yeah, sorry they are only fully-explained via the
build output in 0.8-dev (damn our holdups between releases).

> >>this is an often
> >>requested feature. We are a little limited by Cocoon here, but it is
> >>possible to manually edit a config file that will restrict the
> >>generation to a limited number of pages. Problem there is the need to
> >>manually edit the file - too complex.
> >
> >This is because Cocoon crawls the site looking for
> >links to build. Perhaps the navigation has changed
> >to add other menu items to this page. Perhaps the
> >skin has changed. So perhaps Cocoon needs to re-build
> >every page. I cannot see how or why we would change this.
> One has to be very careful about this. If I fix a spelling error in a
> single page of a 500 page site, I really don't want to generate all 500
> pages. It would be good to just generate that single page...
> >There are FAQs about generating single pages.
> >It is not hard. However this is a dangerous thing
> >to do. It would be easy to end up with a site
> >that is out-of-sync.
> Yes, there are FAQs. But we know people don't read docs, our discussions
> on the Incubator list prove it.

Well i am not sure what that Incubator discussion proves.
If they had asked questions, then we could have pointed
to FAQs about techniques.

> For me, the question is can we make it even simpler than it already is?
> I think we can, see proposal on dev list.

Thanks for trying.

View raw message