forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Odd 'diffs' when building incubator site
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:35:46 GMT
El jue, 26-01-2006 a las 09:37 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Jean T. Anderson escribi??:
>
>  [ snip ]

> > > Here are the diffs on Linux:
> > >
> > > $ svn status
> > > M site-publish/incubation/incubation-process.png
> > > site-publish/skin/images/rc-t-l-5-1header-2tab-selected-3tab-selected.png
> > > site-publish/skin/images/rc-t-l-5-1header-2searchbox-3searchbox.png
> > > M site-publish/skin/images/rc-t-r-5-1header-2tab-selected-3tab-selected.png
> > > site-publish/skin/images/rc-t-l-5-1header-2tab-unselected-3tab-unselected.png
> > > M site-publish/skin/images/rc-t-r-5-1header-2searchbox-3searchbox.png
> > > site-publish/skin/images/rc-t-r-5-1header-2tab-unselected-3tab-unselected.png
> > > M site-publish/skin/images/rc-b-l-15-1body-2menu-3menu.png
> > > M site-publish/skin/images/rc-b-r-15-1body-2menu-3menu.png
> > > M site-publish/skin/images/rc-t-r-15-1body-2menu-3menu.png
> > > M site-publish/skin/images/rc-b-r-5-1header-2tab-selected-3tab-selected.png
> > >
> > > So more diffs are showing up on Windows than on Linux.
> >
> > Yeah, and the ones that show up can have a perfect explanation: updating
> > the webpage is normally a multi step process, meaning that fee people
> > have the itch to tackle it. That can be the cause that even under a
> > fresh checkout of the source you can find diffs in the published site.
>
> There should not be any differences.

Hmm, the differences above are the same on linux and windump (if you
compare to the original post). So above said can be valid.

> > The one who maybe modified the source did not necessarily had to publish
> > the changes on the web site rep.
> >
> > Can you post an example diff from the files on windows that diffs? One
> > or two should be sufficient.
>
> You might be missing the point here Thorsten.
> There are no differences to the sources.

Hmm, to the source not but to the build because above images are build
not source (they are not exiting on the file system as source because
they are generated). Still the other diff is what I want to see to
analyze why and may find a workaround (could be as simple as omit the
line break on the end of the file).

> There is some problem with the generation of
> these images on different operating systems.

...and here I think I actually do not miss the point above images are
the least common multiple between linus and win.

> Or are you asking for diffs to the generated PDFs?

no for the html since they are txt base. PDF should only differ in prop
otherwise the source must have changed during the generation process.

salu2
thorsten

--
thorsten