That should work,
are you saying to handle auth in server.xml and parts in web.xml?

thank you.
helena

Gunther Sablon wrote:
Hi,
we are running forrest as a webapp in Tomcat.
We use the authentication mechanisms of Tomcat:
- before we had users  in tomcat_users.xml; currently they are in LDAP (can be setup in server.xml)
- web.xml specifies the parts of the site that need authentication.
There is no connection to the sitemap, so maybe I have misunderstood your question...
Best regards,
Gunther

Helena Edelson wrote:

thanks. will do.
i am also working on i18n stuff. when i figure it out,
i was thinking it might be help ful to write a how to.
everything so far seems
fractured in terms of the steps to take to implement.
there are many if then's and info is everywhere, from
docs to jira to cocoon docs..

helena

Ross Gardler wrote:

Helena Edelson wrote:

Is there any way using sitemap  to manage user roles
via a  login to control roles
access to app pages for user_role_a
disallow access for user_role_b type of thing?

Depends on whether you are running in dynamic mode or not.

In static mode you would have to use the mechanisms provided by your web server for protecting access to certain resources. On the Apache HTTPD server that would be using .htaccess files.

In this case you simply provide the relevant .htaccess files in along with your XDocs and they will (theoretically) be copied over when you build the site. I say theoretically because I have not, personally, tried this. Let us know if you try it and it works (preferably in the form of a contribution to our docs).

If you are running in dynamic mode you can, theoretically, use the Cocoon Authentication framework [1]. Again, I say theoretically because it I'm not aware of anyone having done this yet. If you want to go this route then it is really a dev topic, so please move this to the dev list where we can help guide you and (hopefully) you can write us a How-To on making it work.

Ross

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/webapps/authentication.html