forrest-user mailing list archives

From Gunther Sablon <>
Subject Re: access control - user roles by sitemap
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:01:21 GMT
we are running forrest as a webapp in Tomcat.
We use the authentication mechanisms of Tomcat:
- before we had users  in tomcat_users.xml; currently they are in LDAP
(can be setup in server.xml)
- web.xml specifies the parts of the site that need authentication.
There is no connection to the sitemap, so maybe I have misunderstood
your question...
Best regards,

Helena Edelson wrote:

> thanks. will do.
> i am also working on i18n stuff. when i figure it out,
> i was thinking it might be help ful to write a how to.
> everything so far seems
> fractured in terms of the steps to take to implement.
> there are many if then's and info is everywhere, from
> docs to jira to cocoon docs..
> helena
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Helena Edelson wrote:
>>> Is there any way using sitemap  to manage user roles
>>> via a  login to control roles
>>> access to app pages for user_role_a
>>> disallow access for user_role_b type of thing?
>> Depends on whether you are running in dynamic mode or not.
>> In static mode you would have to use the mechanisms provided by your
>> web server for protecting access to certain resources. On the Apache
>> HTTPD server that would be using .htaccess files.
>> In this case you simply provide the relevant .htaccess files in along
>> with your XDocs and they will (theoretically) be copied over when you
>> build the site. I say theoretically because I have not, personally,
>> tried this. Let us know if you try it and it works (preferably in the
>> form of a contribution to our docs).
>> If you are running in dynamic mode you can, theoretically, use the
>> Cocoon Authentication framework [1]. Again, I say theoretically
>> because it I'm not aware of anyone having done this yet. If you want
>> to go this route then it is really a dev topic, so please move this
>> to the dev list where we can help guide you and (hopefully) you can
>> write us a How-To on making it work.
>> Ross
>> [1]

Gunther Sablon
Luciad ** Parijsstraat 74 ** 3000 Leuven
tel:    +32 / 16 / 26 28 30

View raw message