forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: access control - user roles by sitemap
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:27:49 GMT
Helena Edelson wrote:
> Is there any way using sitemap  to manage user roles
> via a  login to control roles
> access to app pages for user_role_a
> disallow access for user_role_b type of thing?

Depends on whether you are running in dynamic mode or not.

In static mode you would have to use the mechanisms provided by your web
server for protecting access to certain resources. On the Apache HTTPD
server that would be using .htaccess files.

In this case you simply provide the relevant .htaccess files in along
with your XDocs and they will (theoretically) be copied over when you
build the site. I say theoretically because I have not, personally,
tried this. Let us know if you try it and it works (preferably in the
form of a contribution to our docs).

If you are running in dynamic mode you can, theoretically, use the
Cocoon Authentication framework [1]. Again, I say theoretically because
it I'm not aware of anyone having done this yet. If you want to go this
route then it is really a dev topic, so please move this to the dev list
where we can help guide you and (hopefully) you can write us a How-To on
making it work.

Ross

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/webapps/authentication.html