forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Define TOC per page, generating TOC for the whole documentation
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:59:30 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Armin Waibel wrote:
>>1. Is it possible to suppress TOC generation for single document files?
>><toc max-depth="4" min-sections="1" location="page">
>>   <include name="**/*" />
>>   <exclude name="index.html"/>
>>   <exclude name="news.html"/>
> Another option would be to add extra-css in skinconfig to hide the
> toc. To do that on a by-document-bases you'd have to have a class or
> id-attribute in the body-element so that you could create a selective
> css-selector.

That means adding rendering information to the document. Of course the
renderer could choose to ignore it. It's a workable solution though and
a little easier to implement than modifying the skin.

However, modifying the skin is better for Forrest as a whole ;-)

> Two more work-arounds:
> - Forrest will not list headings that are embedded in other elements
>   such as tables or div in the TOC.

Not recommended. Using a "feature" like this (some would say "bug like
this") could result in your page being rendered differently in a future
version of Forrest.

> - You can use p-Elements for the headings that you don't want to show,
>   add a class="whatYouLike" and format those with extra CSS to look
>   like a heading. Although, I must admit, this is rather a nasty hack!

Even worse, now your document no longer has the defined structure it
should have.

>>2. Is it possible to induce Forrest to generate an index of content for
>>the whole web-site? I can't find such a topic in Forrest documentation.
>>For bulky documentation it would be useful to provide such an IOC.
> Well, perhaps linkmap.html is a good start. It's generated
> automatically in the root.

It's not a TOC though because the order of documents is not necessarily
related to the order of documents in the site itself. The linkmap is an
internal tool for crawling the site during generation. Furthermore, it
does not contain any information about the sections within the
documents, only the location of the documents.

We do have a mechanism for generating the wholesite and that can have a
TOC. However, I understand there are some issues that need to be
addressed with that functionality.

View raw message