forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Define TOC per page, generating TOC for the whole documentation
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:04:15 GMT
Armin Waibel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we using Forrest (great tool) version 0.7 and in skinconf.xml the TOC
> setting is
> <toc max-depth="4" min-sections="1" location="page"/>
> thus each document (all forrest .xml doc files + all automatically
> rendered .html files) will contain a TOC.
>
> 1. Is it possible to suppress TOC generation for single document files?
> E.g.
> <toc max-depth="4" min-sections="1" location="page">
>   <include name="**/*" />
>   <exclude name="index.html"/>
>   <exclude name="news.html"/>
> </toc>

Not in 0.7 out-of-the box. However, it would be relatively easy to
implment and we would be happy to help (via the dev list).

It is also worth noting that we are working on a new skinning system
(currently moving from a prototype to a first implementation) that
enables this kind of granularity in page make-up. However, it is pure
dev stuff in trunk. If this is a production site and you don't want to
play with moving tartgets then adding this to the existing skins would
be a better approach for now.

> 2. Is it possible to induce Forrest to generate an index of content for
> the whole web-site? I can't find such a topic in Forrest documentation.
> For bulky documentation it would be useful to provide such an IOC.
> E.g.
> <ioc max-depth="2" min-sections="1" target="guides/index.html">
>   <include name="guides/*" />
>   <exclude name="summary.html"/>
> </ioc>

Again, not out of the box, but relatively easy to add if you have the
inclination.

See you on the dev list ;-)

Ross