forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recommended Forrest/Lenya CMS Strategies?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:53:34 GMT
El mié, 16-11-2005 a las 15:28 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Woods, Christopher wrote:
> > My company is planning the following implementation:
> >
> > 1)Port existing publications to Forrest.  Current publications are
xml
> > files with xsl stylesheets for browser presentation, plus javascript
> > menus, and a few other scripts.
> >
> > 2)Generate new publications using Forrest.
> >
> > 3)Maintain all publications with Lenya deployed on our network.
> >
> > I am looking for information that describes how to port existing
pubs
> > into Forrest.  A typical publication may be upwards of 500 xml file
> > pages.
>
> Let me ask a few questions to understand your position:
>
> How and where are your publications stored?
> What schema are they?
> Do they contain any navigation information (other than inline links)?
> Can they be moved/restructured if necessary?

In addition why do you want to use lenya and forrest together?

Do it have to be port2forrest->forrest2lenya, or can it be as well
port2lenya->lenya2forrest?

IMO 2) should be done via new lenya pubs.

> > Additionally, I'm looking for information on how to hand off from
> > Forrest to Lenya.
>
> I'll leave that to someone who knows Lenya better (Thorsten?)

Till now I have not come around to create an example, because of time
limitation. Anyway, as soon as I finish v2 (and standalone contracts) I
want to port the current lenya documentation (forrest pub) to lenya and
extend lenya to use forrest to render the live area (but that can take
some time, nearly no spare time ATM).

There are a couple of issues to solve to have a out-of-the-box support
for lenya2forrest and vice versa. One major thing is site.xml (forrest)
vs sitetree.xml (lenya) and the way lenya stores documents (special
folder hierarchy).

Having said this there is a start of a lenya plugin in the forrest
whiteboard which would do lenya2forrest, but AFAIK nothing similar for
the other way around.

> > Lastly, any comments on the sanity or insanity of this strategy or
other
> > recommendations are very welcome.  TIA.
>
> I'll make comments on that when I understand more of what you aim to
> achieve. So more questions:
>
> Why Forrest?
> Why Lenya?
> Why not stick with your existing approach?
> How often do you wish to publish the content?
> How is the content served?

Yes, this information would be good to know to really recommend
something concrete.

> One thing you should be aware of when considering the sanity is that
> Forrest is a 0.7 product. It is not complete and future versions may
> change quite considerably, thus migration between versions may
require
> some work. Having said that, we do try and maintain backward
> compatability and many of users and devs use Forrest in production
> environments.
>
> Ross

BTW if you are looking for professional support for your migration,
please fell free to contact me offlist.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler