forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Conversion of "raw" html stops in mid-file w/o error message
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:33:31 GMT
Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks for the information about how to accomplish this conversion.  My
> (current) problem is solved: <h2> cannot be followed directly by <h4> in

> forrest.
>
> I do have a comment:
>
> * The W3C HTML validator says that <h2> followed by <h4> is valid HTML
> and valid XHTML. From the W3 spec
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#edef-H2> itself,
> "Some people consider skipping heading levels to be bad practice. They
> accept H1 H2 H1 while they do not accept H1 H3 H1 since the heading
> level H2 is skipped." Forrest is going beyond the spec by enforcing this
> restriction.

Lke we said, if it is a problem to you then feel free to provide a patch
to the html2document.xsl stylesheet.

We don't use html as an internal format because it lacks some needed
structure for other processing. Outr internal structure is much closer
to XHTML2 (in fact we will be moving to a ubset XHTML2 in some future
release).

In HTML2 headings do not have levels assigned to them, instead you av:

<section>
   <title>
     <section>
       <title>