forrest-user mailing list archives

From Moshe Yudkowsky <msha4...@bl.com>
Subject Conversion of "raw" html stops in mid-file w/o error message
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 03:14:28 GMT
I've got a raw html file that is being auto-converted -- decorated --
by forrest.

Although the conversion goes well for the initial sections, at one point
the conversion stops, and the rest of the file does not appear. There
are no error messages or warnings.

I have validated the document using the W3C validator, and it passes
whether I use it as 4.01 loose or XHTML strict. (The meta tags have to
be modified, depending  on the format, but the rest of the document is
unchanged.)

Problem 1: no conversion of XHTML strict

If the document is XHTML strict, then forrest does not convert any of
the body text whatsoever!

Problem 2: partial conversion of HTML 4.01 text.

The initial paragraphs convert with no problem. They look like this:

<h2>WORK EXPERIENCE</h2>
<dl>
  <dt>
   DIALOGIC &amp; INTEL CORPORATION / 1996 - 2002<br/>
   1996 - 2002: Speech Technology<br/>
   Mission: Architect and Advocate for Speech Technologies.<br/>
</dt>
<dd>
  <ul>
   <li>Guide technical development... </li>
  </ul>
</dd>
</dt>

etc.

The paragraphs which do not convert look like this:

<h2>SKILLS</h2>
	<h4>Speech Recognition &amp; Speech Technology</h4>
	 <ul>
	  <li>Cross-industry knowledge...</li>
	 </ul>

The only line that converts is the <h4> line, SKILLS, and the rest of
the document is missing. I thought the "&amp;" in the <h4> might be
throwing the system off, I tried removing it, and that's not the problem.

If anyone has any ideas on how to debug this, please let me know!