forrest-user mailing list archives

From Moshe Yudkowsky <msha4...@bl.com>
Subject Re: skins to wrong directory in transition from 0.5 to 0.7
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:39:48 GMT
Ross,

Thanks for your quick response. I've trimmed and responded to questions,
below:

Ross Gardler wrote:

 > Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
 >
 >> I'm having a great deal of difficulty transitioning from 0.5.1 to
0.7. I've searched the archives, but I can't find some very specific
answers.

 > Did you follow the instructions for upgrading from 0.6 before
attampting the upgrade to 0.7?

Nope, completely escaped my notice. I've since looked at them & done a
synchronization of forrest.properties and skinconf.xml. I've done a
"forrest clean" as well.

 > Do forrest -verbose and you'll get more info about the failure.

The failure is quite peculiar:

 >       ------------------------------------------------
 >       | The following properties could be removed from future builds:
 >       | //which skin to apply
 >       | project.skin        = disaggregate
 >       | //where your documentation xml is
 >       | project.content-dir =
/home/moshe/web/disaggregate/site/home/moshe/web/disaggregate/site/src/documentation
 >       ------------------------------------------------
 > Exiting /usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/forrest.build.xml.

So far, so good. My project.skin has been accepted, aside from that
ominous note about future deprecation.

 > check-skin:
 > Unable to find dir
/usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/disaggregate
 > Unable to find file
/usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/disaggregate.zip
 > Unable to find dir
home/moshe/web/disaggregate/site/src/documentation/skins/disaggregate

This is strange. The final line is missing the leading "/" on the
pathname, even though I've set

project.skins-dir=${project.content-dir}/skins

I've even un-set it to see what would happen; after all, I'm really just
using the default value. Even if I use the entire pathname explicitly in
project.skins-dir, I still get this "leading path name" error.

This error "smells" like it's using default values and doesn't see my
skins-dir setting; not only that, but it fails to find my skin even
though it's where it should be by default! Please note that, as per the
forrest.properties default structure, skins-dir is set *after* the .skin
is set, but IIRC the properties file is parsed in one gulp and that
shouldn't be a problem.

Because I set

forrest.skins.descriptors=
forrest.plugins.descriptors=

in an effort to stop the failing fetch, the script proceeds, and then
crashes and burns on an attempt to get the plugins. (I don't know why
it's summoning a plugin; that's what I need to look at next, probably
some other, more minor config error on my part.)

* Question: what's this project.skins-dir error?

 > The skin descriptor file (skins.xml) is only retrieved if Forest
cannot find the skin it is being told to use. Please ensure that you are
using a skin that is present (set in forrest.properties)

Previously done, as above.

 > Which skin are you trying to use (set in forrest.properties)

A private skin, with private xsl files that will no doubt need some
refurbishing.

 >> I also have other issues:
 >>
 >> * I have set forrest.skins.descriptors to
file://./src/documentation/skins/skins.xml, but the system still
attempts to fetch http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml.

 > That should not happen. It sounds like it is using the default
setting provided by forrest in default-forrest.properties. Can you
please veryify if this is the case.

Here's the log printout that I get when I use

forrest.skins.descriptors=file://./src/documentation/skins/skins.xml

instead of leaving things blank:

 > fetch-skins-descriptors:
 > fetching descriptor: file://./src/documentation/skins/skins.xml
 > Getting: file://./src/documentation/skins/skins.xml
 > Error getting file://./src/documentation/skins/skins.xml to
/usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/skins-1.xml
 > Unable to find
/usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/skins-1.xml
 > Error in class net.sf.antcontrib.logic.IfTask

If I use the complete path name I get a very explicit error:

forrest.skins.descriptors=file:///home/moshe/web/disaggregate/site/src/documentation/skins/skins.xml

and then:

 > fetch-skins-descriptors:
 > fetching descriptor:
file:///home/moshe/web/disaggregate/site/src/documentation/skins/skins.xml
 > Getting:
file:/home/moshe/web/disaggregate/site/src/documentation/skins/skins.xml
 > Error getting
file:/home/moshe/web/disaggregate/site/src/documentation/skins/skins.xml
to /usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/skins-1.xml
 > Unable to find
/usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/skins-1.xml
 > Error in class net.sf.antcontrib.logic.IfTask

This skins.xml file is the off-the-shelf file I d/l from the Internet.

If I use

forrest.skins.descriptors=http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml

I get this error log:

 > fetch-skins-descriptors:
 > fetching descriptor: http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml
 > Getting: http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml
 > Error getting http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml to
/usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/skins-1.xml
 > Unable to find
/usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/skins-1.xml
 > Error in class net.sf.antcontrib.logic.IfTask

There is no skins-1.xml mentioned in any config file in either the
distro or in my various files.

* Question: any advice on what's going on here?

Further comments:

 >>  - whether I can use relative path names (and where they start out
relative to) in "file://" style skin path names

 > not sure

Once other stuff is debugged, I ought to know the answer to this.

 > Forget skins.xml and focus on why it seems that you
forrest.properties are not set correctly. You problem is that when
Forrest looks for your skin it cannot find it.

Thanks, I will focus. I've tried a half-dozen different configs, and
none are working.

I will work with the distro-created, pure "seed" for a while and see if
I can get that one working; but in the meantime, if you (or someone
else) has ideas, I'd appreciate them.