forrest-user mailing list archives

From Moshe Yudkowsky <msha4...@bl.com>
Subject skins to wrong directory in transition from 0.5 to 0.7
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:19:01 GMT
I'm having a great deal of difficulty transitioning from 0.5.1 to 0.7.
I've searched the archives, but I can't find some very specific answers.

I'm behind a firewall that I control. While I can easily "wget" the file
http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml, my attempt at running forrest
  fails, with the following error in my log:

> fetch-skins-descriptors:
> fetching descriptor: http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml
> Getting: http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml
> Error getting http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml to /usr/local/share/forrest-current/main/webapp/skins/skins-1.xml

Now, I admit that I don't understand this, for two reasons.

(1) The first is whether the "Getting" failed, or whether writing to the
skins.xml to /usr/local/share/forrest-current failed.

(2) The second is more important: why would the skins end up in
/usr/local/share/forrest-current, as implied by the log? I have
project.skins-dir set to ${project.content-dir}/skins, which puts it in
a sub-directory in user space and is specific to a particular project.
The error implies that only super-user can run forrest, or that any
change to the skin would require super-user approval. This is very
different than in 0.5, and not covered in the FAQ.

I suspect that I'm supposed to "install" the skins as super-user the
first time through, but again that's not reasonable. I want to use the
skins that I have in my user space.

I also have other issues:

* I have set forrest.skins.descriptors to
file://./src/documentation/skins/skins.xml, but the system still
attempts to fetch http://forrest.apache.org/skins/skins.xml.

* The FAQ states that if I fail because I'm behind a firewall, I should
use the proxy and host settings. That's not a reasonable suggestion! I
don't need to proxy anything else, and clearly there's a different
problem at work.

* The new skins.xml file isn't documented, as far as I can tell. It's
not all that difficult to understand by reading it, but it'd be nice to
understand :
  - what it does
  - whether I can use URLs of the type "file"
  - whether I can use relative path names (and where they start out
relative to) in "file://" style skin path names
  - whether any custom skin I create needs to be put into the skins.xml file
   - and other matters that will no doubt come to mind when I finally
get 0.7 to work.
   - Or, for that matter, where the "best practices" location is for
"skins.xml" if I use a local copy.

Does someone have this information?