we must be running different versions. I am using 0.7.

Section 2.17. How can I include HTML content that is not to be skinned by Forrest? at http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/faq.html#rawTML has an error - this XML excerpt is not well-formed. (map:select closing element name expected)

File sitemap.xmap generated by "forrest seed" includes exactly what I posted, except for the name of the directory (I used "news" instead of "old_site"). So yes, it is nothing like what is in the FAQ entry. The doc example (Section 2.17) has different test case
in comparison with my sitemap.xmap
I don't know (yet) what that means for my problem, but I am just stating the difference.

Also, I don't think there is fresh-site target in 0.7. Now, I just tried with the first test, but it does not work for me, I guess the directory with HTML which must not be skinned and displayed in the main area must reside in some special location??? Maybe the match pattern isn't right?