forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recursing Directories
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:07:56 GMT
Mehta, Chirag wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are evaluating whether or not Forrest would be ideal for out needs.
>
> Is it possible to recurse a directory on a server somewhere and have the
> files show up on the webpage, for example every five minutes?

Not "out of the box", but with only very minor customisations.

First of all, you say "every five minutes". Forrest can run in one of
two modes - static generation or dynamic generation. In dynamic mode the
page would be updated every time it is requested. In static mode the
pageis updated each time the site is regenerated.

If you choose static mode we have a forrestbot that can automate the
process of building and deploying the site.

To customise you application you will need to create a custom sitemap
entry that uses the DirectoryGenerator from Cocoon. This produces and
XML file listing (optionally filtered and sorted). You then pass this
through an XSL to produce your content page.

If you want to do this we can talk you through it, but you will need to
get an understanding of Forrest first. Our docs should help there. In
particular:

http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/your-project.html#sitemap.xmap

Ross