forrest-user mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: intranet environment
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:48:51 GMT
On 8/19/05, Hugo Osorio <osorio.hugo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your response !
>
>  so, is there another option?, i am afraid of facing a release which is in
> development, i need something quick and easy.. i am building an intranet, I
> need people easily to put data/content onto the server, in order to be
> published for our 'local area network' only
>
>  The environment for this, i suppose, is Forrest CMS in this case, Cocoon
> the basis, Tomcat, but, i need to have cleared how people can put their own
> content on the forrest-project (which is in another machine (FreeBSD)) by
> themselves.
>
>  thank you for your guidance, it is quite valuable

Your options, as I see them are:
1) Take Ross' advise and use the 0.8-dev version's locationmap capability.
2) The code for locationmap I think is actually in the 0.7 release
code, but it's been modified since then.
3) Take just the locationmap code from 0.8-dev and bring it into your
environment

1
- Risks: it is a "dev" version but the trunk is pretty stable so if
you are planning to use "skins" then it should be fine.
- Pros: the locationmap stuff on which you depend is tested more in
this version.

2
- Risks: the locationmap code in that version hasn't been through
rigorous testing and has been improved a little since then.
- Pros: you might get it working without having to change your baseline.

3
- Risks: it hasn't been done or tested before but it "should" work
fine; CM is more complex.
- Pros: you get to keep you current baseline while only modifying the
minimum number of files.

These are the reasonably options.  Others exist but they would be even
more risky as they would need development and also have never been
tested.  If I were in your shoes I'd go with 3 although I probably
shouldn't be advocating such an approach.
--tim