forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest as a Module
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:45:56 GMT
Lake McManus wrote:
> Alright well if I haven't already made it blatantly obvious, I'm new to the whole Forrest/Cocoon
thing, and the documentation is hardly useful for someone trying to figure out how to use
it and more useful as a reference for someone who already knows it.  I'm also inexperienced
with servlets, containers, and webapps, though I do know Java.  Would you mind explaining
how I would integrate Forrest, along with other components such as PHP, into an Apache server,
using what you mentioned below?  Thank you so much for your help, and for putting up with
me!

Yes, it is true our docs could be imporved considerably. When you
understand more we would welcome patches and contributions.

The best thing for me to do in answering your questions is to point you
to docs that *should* answer your questions, you go and read them,
experiment a little and come back here with more questions as they
become more focussed on specific problems rather than wide, general issues.

First of all, using Forrest inside a Servlet engine alongside Apache HTTPD:

It is not really within the scope of this user list to get this
configured. You will find more immediate help on the user list for your
chosen serlet engine. If you do not currently have one then I recomend
Apache Tomcat http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

They have extensive docs on getting tomcat installed and deploying webapps.

Once you have this up and running you can create a webapp from Forrest
with the command "forrest webapp", deploy the resulting war file in
tomcat and off you go.

I suggest you first try deploying an unmodified seed site from forrest,
see http://forrest.apache.org/#User-friendly for instructions on
creating a seed site. Just replace step 4 and 5 with the above "forrest
webapp" steps and you should be working.

Now to integrating PHP.

First of all, consider wether you really want to do this. PHP is an
adequate language but there are, IMHO, opinion better languages
available through Cocoon (on which Forrest is bilt). If you still want
to work with PHP then here is what you do:

Play around with Forrest doing some static pages using XML first. Get
used to how Forrest works. Integrating PHP is an advanced activity and
as a newbie you should spend some time understanding Forrest in its
simplest form first. Start with
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/your-project.html

Conmfortable? Now re-read the advanced customisations section of the
above page. This will give an example of how to customise the processing
within Forrest. The part you are particularly interested in is the
additions to the sitemap. There is a link to a sitemap reference in that
section, you must read that reference - it is important background
information.

By the time you have read all this you should know what to do. Here is a
hint that you will not understand until you have read all the above:

<map:match pattern="**.php.xml">
     <map:generate src="http://localhost/{1}.php" />
     <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

This assumes that you php scripts output XDoc, if not then you will need
a transformation to convert from the source format to XDoc (we have
stylesheets and plugins for many formats so if this is the case ask
before writing).

With this match requests for http:///domain.org/index.php.html will give
a skinned HTML version of the page, http:///domain.org/index.php.pdf
will give PDF etc.

There is *another* way of doing this Cocoon is able to execute PHP pages
natively. However, I think the generator is deprecated now, so I'm not
sure if you want to use that route.

Ross

> --
> Lake McManus~马雷~レイク・ミクマーナス~ْلَيكْ مِكْمَنُس~लेक्
मिक्मानस