forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest as a Module
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:33:19 GMT
Lake McManus wrote:
> In my opinion, Forrest would be much more useful as a module.

Forrest is a webapp for hosting in a Servlet engine. It is a completely
different beast to an HTTPD module (I guess that is what you mean by
module). Of course, the servlet container itself can be run as an HTTPD
module.

>  Despite
> what the Forrest website says, I can’t understand how Forrest can be
> used for dynamic pages

See our home page [1] and the docs at [2] which describes the dynamic
mode in more detail.

In short you can do 'forrest run' and point your browser at
http://localhost:8888 (the port is of course configurable, and you can
poit at it from an external machine if you want to). In a production
environment you probably want to do 'forrest webapp' and deploy on your
favourite servlet container.

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/#Static+or+Dynamic
[2] http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/your-project.html#webapp

>Making it a module would allow this.  That
> would make a lot more sense than having to run Forrest every time you
> update the site, especially if you’re not running Forrest on the
> server.  At first I thought Forrest would be something like that, but it
> took me a while to realize, to my dismay, that it wasn’t.

On the contrary - that is *exactly* what forrest does when you run in
dynamic mode. You should also appreciate that Forrest is designed to
allow static content to be created since most content is, in fact,
static and therefore is much more efficiently served by a web server. If
you have dynamic needs then run in dynamic mode.

>  Having
> Forrest as a module would also increase functionality with server-site
> scripting like PHP.  That way, PHP could produce Forrest-compatible
> code, and then Forrest would process it.

It already can. This is made really easy with the locationmap in
0.8-dev, however, it is still achievable in 0.7 if you write a custom
sitemap for your project.

Furthermore, Forrest is built on top of Cocoon, so we have the full
power of Cocoon in the dynamic environment.

>  Is there any effort being made
> toward this?

Errr... just in case you haven't noticed with my replies above, it
already does everything you ask for :-P

> And is there a reason that it wasn’t developed like a
> module or CGI in the first place?

Because it is much more powerful and efficient as a Cocoon application.

Ross