forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ugly tables in PDF files
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:42:54 GMT
vadim wrote:
> Do you think it would good idea to introduce an attribute to <th>
> element, whose value will indicate width of the column, for example, in
> percent from the total width?

My own view on this is that since Forrest is intended to provide output
in many different output formats a width attribute is a dangerous thing.
When it translates to, for example, a small screen it can make a table
look awful (not that they look good with the current solution).

I would rather see output stylesheets optimising the use of the page
accoring to the output medium. This means improving on the existing
calculation algorithm.

Other devs may not agree though, they may say "but a width attribute is
vey quick and very easy, and an output plugin could choose to ignore it
if it wanted to".

What do people think?

Ross