forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploy built website to your ISP (Was: Help with new templates)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:23:26 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> | Of course Forrest can also be used in dynamic mode.
> | There are various ways to do this. One way is
> | to cd to your forrest source top-level and do
> | 'forrest war'. This creates a web application archive
> | which you add to your ISP's servlet containers' webapps
> | directory. (e.g. Tomcat or Jetty). How you do this
> | is completely beyond the scope of the Forrest project.
>
> I imagine, unless one is on first name terms with their ISP
> that getting them to do that will be a bit blood/stone scenario,
> I will set it up on my own server though and have a play.

Many ISP's provide more than static web hosting. However, you get what
you pay for (menaing dynamic hosting is much more expensive)

> In terms of 'dynamic' are we talking PHP style here, in replacement
> of or in conjunction with? Such as grabbing content from a mySQL
> database and using PHP to add it to web page(s).

Dynamic, in the context of Forrest, means that a live instance is
running so any changes to your XDocs will immediately be reflected in
your published site.

If you do "forrest run" on your project you will be running a dynamic
instance of Forrest locally. See
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/your-project.html#webapp

Forrest can be extended (when running in dynamic mode) to retireve
content from other sources such as databases and process the data
appropriately.

However, it has nothing to do with PHP. PHP is a programming language
used for build dynamic sites, but it has no connection with Forrest
(other than Forrest can skin the output of PHP applications if you want
it to).

Ross