forrest-user mailing list archives

From CFAS Webmaster <webmas...@cfas.org>
Subject Re: Help with new templates
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:41:32 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>ok, because we are actually in a kind of incubation with them. What you
>are using is our first prototype (highly unstable in terms of
>design->features on demand) which means the final design of the first
>stable version will be different.
>
>BTW there are some brave user to use them live. Diwaker is using them in
>on his homepage. ;-)
>http://floatingsun.net

I understand completely.  I could put it into production but there's no
real reason for me to at this point.   I generally check the output
before publishing.  The forrest code appears to output reasonable html
but running forrest on the site ends up in an (nearly) infinite loop.

>The tigris-CSS (with some tweaks) should be reusable for your purpose.
>Let me ask, have you done the modification to the tigris skin? If so
>then you are ready to go in terms of needed internals.

I've only added to the tigris CSS by adding stuff that I liked to
extra-css in skinconf.xml.  I haven't explored the main tigris-CSS
file(s) to see what I can scavenge.  The part that I'm unsure of is the
rounded corners of the tabs.  But I really don't need to emulate tigris
too closely.  The membership of CFAS have mentioned that the site
looks...  too professional...  :)

>Please parse an example of the "extra.xml"

I can do that but I'm not sure how to perform the parsing.  I still have
the file around.

>In your example you have:
><xsl:template name="extra-info-body">
>              <xsl:for-each
>select="document('../../../cfas-new/src/documentation/content/xdocs/extra.xml')">
>
>        <xsl:comment>+
>            |start extra-info
>            +</xsl:comment>
>               <xsl:copy-of select="document/*"/>
>        <xsl:comment>+
>            |end extra-info
>            +</xsl:comment>
>
>              </xsl:for-each>
>            </xsl:template>
>
>Is that plain html that you copy here?

It is just HTML wrapped in a
tag set.
That's how I can extract just the <document> and have semi-acceptable
results.

>BTW why are you using
>xsl:for-each
>select="document('../../../cfas-new/src/documentation/content/xdocs/extra.xml')

I decided to show my extreme lack of XSL coding skills to the general
public ;).  I copied it from another .ft file and wasn't really
concerned about changing it as I expected this wasn't the right solution
from the start.

I was successful in re-integrating the right-column information with the
main index.html source file.  The real "problem" was that the main
section was static instead of float: left.  Once that was changed and
the widths were adjusted appropriately, you WYSIWYG:
http://cfas-new.kronenpj.dyndns.org/

Salut & thanks again!
-Paul