forrest-user mailing list archives

From CFAS Webmaster <webmas...@cfas.org>
Subject Re: Help with new templates
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:52:35 GMT
Thorsten,

  Thanks!  I'm not sure I understood all of what you told me, but I will
work on it!

Diwaker, Cyriaque, David - Wow, thank you for your input.  I thought
using document() was a bad idea but I guess it *really* is.

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>Hi CFAS Webmaster,
>
>first of all welcome to views. Second I have to repeat what Diwaker said
>views is alpha and should better not used in production.

Agreed.  This won't be used in production for quite a while.  I just
don't like all the tables Tigris uses.

>You mean forrest:contract?
>http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-contracts.html

I think I've digested those instructions and have it working now, with
the poorly-conceived document() usage. :)

>no. What you are trying to do is *not* the best way to work with views.
>
>You are using for http://www.cfas.org/
>
>...but that is not the original tigris skin. You have added some
>xsl-templates or custom content to it.
>
>I imagine that you would like to keep the tigris style so actually what
>you have to do is creating a tigris view and keeping your css. That way
>you only need to refactor your custom site2xhtml.xsl and extract the
>custom modification into a contract (see the views howto). We are doing
>this for pelt as well right now but the code is not yet in our svn.

I would like to emulate the modified-Tigris skin but I wanted to get
*something* working before trying to customize it.  Unfortunately I'm
not that good with CSS and the way things are put together in Forrest,
yet.  The production site will only be static for the foreseeable future
so David's concerns, while valid, don't currently apply.  That said, I'm
getting rid of document() as I write this reply.

>So instead of trying to include a file you have to create contracts.
>There is a way to include different content but you should not use it.

I think I'm going to play with keeping the content in the main page and
coerce CSS into putting it where I want it.  Much of the information is
modified at the same time and keeping it in one file is preferable.

>thx for using views.

Thanks to the Forrest crew for creating them!

>salu2
>thorsten

Regards,
-Paul