forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest run works but forrest doesn't
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:06:34 GMT
Phillip Evans wrote:
>>What do you mean by "edit styles"?
>

> I really need a
> docbook2document.xsl in the longer term. I understand that there used to be
> one

No there never was one, but we do have a FAQ on the subject see
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/faq.html#docbook

> By the way, forrest
> did not handle the sdocbook conversion until I moved
> 'sdocbook2document.xsl' to:
>
> \site\src\documentation\resources\stylesheets\sdocbook2document.xsl

This is very strange, you should only need to add the sdocbook plugin to
forrest.properties and it will work, it does for me at least.

Can you please explain what you did to make sdocbook work?

>>I suggest waiting until you understand a bit more before trying to write
>
> documentation for others.
>
> Yes, you are right, but sometimes a bit of naivety can uncover some of the
> assumptions that us mere footsloggers get stuck on.

Yes, I'd recomend keeping a log of the big potholes our documentation
leaves then, when you understand how to fill them you can contribute to
our docs in a very valuable way.

Of course, we will work with you to ensure that your ideas are the best
way to solve the problems you find.

> After several days of
> struggle since starting from scratch, with very little to show for it, I was
> very close to giving the exercise up as being beyond my grasp. But now, I'm
> very happy with a usable result that I can fine-tune.

We encourage all users to ask questions on list rather than struggle in
silence. The newbie questions help us understand where our docs are
unclear and our applicatio is non-intuitive.

Ross