forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: ugly tables in PDF files
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:19:59 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Neil Troy wrote:
> >vadim wrote:
> >
> >>Do you know what is the reason to generate tables in PDF files of fixed
> >>width and fixed (probably hardcoded) column width? Tables look really
> >>ugly! Do you know if I can adjust something somewhere to get tables in
> >>PDF files to look better?
> FOP (or FO rendering engine) does not support tables that auto size. see
> >I needed to fix some tables quick.
> Professional patches welcome ;-)
> You could count the chars in a all the cells then allocate the space
> accordingly. This would work better but would have problems with tables
> that involved images.
> See the files in FORREST_HOME/main/skins/common/xslt/fo/

We have not done very much work to enhance our use of
Apache FOP to transform the docs to PDF. Our stylesheets
are just a beginning. Someone would need to explore
the many powers of FOP and then enhance our xslt/fo/*.xsl

Also people could go to help the Apache FOP community
to find ways to deal with such issues.

Anyway please join us on the Forrest dev mailing list
if you wnat to purue this beyond the user level.

View raw message