forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject deploy built website to your ISP (Was: Help with new templates)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:20:53 GMT
CFAS Webmaster wrote:
> Gav.... wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Help with new templates

When starting a new topic, please change the Subject.

> > | BTW there are some brave user to use them live. Diwaker is using them in
> > | on his homepage. ;-)
> > | http://floatingsun.net
> >
> > Is this on Diwakers' own web server or public?

If you see it with your web browser, then it is public.

> >I was going to ask the question as I don't see it
> > documented anywhere, how does
> >anyone publish a forrest site to the web so it
> >is available to all.
>
> The way *I* do it is to run forrest from the root of the seeded tree, in
> my case in these emails it's .../cfas-new/, where you'll likely find the
> src/ directory.
>
> >I have an apache web server running so it is not a
> > problem, just wondered if
> >this project was meant for intranet use only or
> > if porting to an ISP web space
> >was possible or a future goal.
>
> That's good.  What you'd want to do for a static site is give Apache
> access to the build/site directory under the seeded tree, eg.
> .../cfas-new/build/site/  There's probably an index.html file there that
> Apache will be happy to serve.

That is very dangerous. If you break your forrest
build in any way, then your live web server is broken.
Much better to separate the concerns. Build your
site in one place, then deploy it to the server.

> Another method is to copy the .../build/site/* tree
> into the web root of a server.

Gav, i am confused by your question, so i will try
to answer what i think the question is.

You have an account with an ISP, which provides a
special directory to place a set of documents for
your website (called the document root).

You have Forrest installed on your office desktop.
cd to the top of your forrest site (which is
where the forrest.properties file lives).
Do 'forrest' which generates the documents into
build/site directory.

Now you need to deploy the contents of build/site
onto your ISP's webserver. That will entirely
depend on how your ISP provides you access.

One way would be to do it manually.
cd build/site
tar cf mysite.tar *
gzip *.tar
... use 'scp' or 'ftp' or whatever method that
your ISP provides to put that file onto your webserver.
Then log in to your server and uncompress the
archive into the document root of your webserver.
Your ISP might even enable you to use ftp or scp
to deploy the files straight into your document root
without the gzip and followup login step. Another
way would be to use 'rsync'.

How to do these manual methods is beyond the
scope of Forrest project.

The best way to deploy your generated website
is to use "forrestbot":
http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbot.html

It has various different mechanisms for deployment.
We use the "svn" deployment technique for the
forrest.apache.org website. Our generated website
is added to a Subversion repository, then on the
server there is an outomated process which does
cd to our document root, then 'svn update'.

Forrestbot has other deployment methods such
as ftp and scp, not yet using rsync but that
would be possible to develop.

Of course Forrest can also be used in dynamic mode.
There are various ways to do this. One way is
to cd to your forrest source top-level and do
'forrest war'. This creates a web application archive
which you add to your ISP's servlet containers' webapps
directory. (e.g. Tomcat or Jetty). How you do this
is completely beyond the scope of the Forrest project.

David