forrest-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: Help with new templates
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 09:54:35 GMT
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 20:41 -0400, CFAS Webmaster wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >ok, because we are actually in a kind of incubation with them. What you
> >are using is our first prototype (highly unstable in terms of
> >design->features on demand) which means the final design of the first
> >stable version will be different.
> >
> >BTW there are some brave user to use them live. Diwaker is using them in
> >on his homepage. ;-)
> >
> >  
> >
> I understand completely.  I could put it into production but there's no 
> real reason for me to at this point.   I generally check the output 
> before publishing.  The forrest code appears to output reasonable html 
> but running forrest on the site ends up in an (nearly) infinite loop.

That can be caused by the <xsl:for-each select="document()"/>. ;-)

> >The tigris-CSS (with some tweaks) should be reusable for your purpose.
> >Let me ask, have you done the modification to the tigris skin? If so
> >then you are ready to go in terms of needed internals.
> >  
> >
> I've only added to the tigris CSS by adding stuff that I liked to 
> extra-css in skinconf.xml.  

...but the left column is not there by default. Didn't you add that to

> I haven't explored the main tigris-CSS 
> file(s) to see what I can scavenge.  The part that I'm unsure of is the 
> rounded corners of the tabs.

>  But I really don't need to emulate tigris 
> too closely.  The membership of CFAS have mentioned that the site 
> looks...  too professional...  :)


> >Please parse an example of the "extra.xml"
> >  
> >
> I can do that but I'm not sure how to perform the parsing.  I still have 
> the file around.

Just copy n' paste it. ;-)

> >In your example you have:
> ><xsl:template name="extra-info-body">
> >              <xsl:for-each 
> >select="document('../../../cfas-new/src/documentation/content/xdocs/extra.xml')">
> >
> >        <xsl:comment>+
> >            |start extra-info
> >            +</xsl:comment>
> >               <xsl:copy-of select="document/*"/>
> >        <xsl:comment>+
> >            |end extra-info
> >            +</xsl:comment>
> >
> >              </xsl:for-each>
> >            </xsl:template>
> >
> >Is that plain html that you copy here?
> >  
> >
> It is just HTML wrapped in a 
> <document><header></header><body>{html}</body></document>
tag set.  
> That's how I can extract just the <document> and have semi-acceptable 
> results. 

This is the same as a contract. ;-) You may want to use
<forrest:properties/> to pass it to your contract. That would get rid of
the document() fct. 

You need to add a custom sitemap to your project. There should be a
match like 
<map:match pattern="extra.xml">
 <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}/new.xml"/>
 <map:serialize type="xml"/>

Then you can use:
<forrest:contract name="content-extra">
    <forrest:properties contract="content-extra">
      <forrest:property name="content-extra" nugget="get.nugget.extra">

See the content-feeder.ft for more information how to match the content
but basicly you will add to your contract something like:
<xsl:template name="content-extra-head" >
  <xsl:param name="content-extra"/>
  <xsl:copy-of select="$content-extra/document/header/*"/>	 

<xsl:template name="content-extra-body" >
  <xsl:param name="content-extra"/>
  <xsl:copy-of select="$content-extra/document/body/*"/>	 

That should do exactly the same like you implemented it but without the

> >BTW why are you using 
> >xsl:for-each 
> >select="document('../../../cfas-new/src/documentation/content/xdocs/extra.xml')
> >  
> >
> I decided to show my extreme lack of XSL coding skills to the general 
> public ;).  I copied it from another .ft file and wasn't really 
> concerned about changing it as I expected this wasn't the right solution 
> from the start.

see above how it would be better.

> I was successful in re-integrating the right-column information with the 
> main index.html source file.  The real "problem" was that the main 
> section was static instead of float: left.  Once that was changed and 
> the widths were adjusted appropriately, you WYSIWYG:

Looks nice. :)

> Salut & thanks again!
> -Paul


"Together we stand, divided we fall!" 
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

View raw message