forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help with new templates
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:01:10 GMT
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 17:52 -0400, CFAS Webmaster wrote:
> Thorsten,
>
>   Thanks!  I'm not sure I understood all of what you told me, but I will
> work on it!

I tend to explain things overcomplicated (why easy when I can do it the
hard way). ;-) If you have question keep on asking.

> Diwaker, Cyriaque, David - Wow, thank you for your input.  I thought
> using document() was a bad idea but I guess it *really* is.
>
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> >Hi CFAS Webmaster,
> >
> >first of all welcome to views. Second I have to repeat what Diwaker said
> >views is alpha and should better not used in production.
> >
> Agreed.  This won't be used in production for quite a while.

ok, because we are actually in a kind of incubation with them. What you
are using is our first prototype (highly unstable in terms of
design->features on demand) which means the final design of the first
stable version will be different.

BTW there are some brave user to use them live. Diwaker is using them in
on his homepage. ;-)
http://floatingsun.net

>  I just
> don't like all the tables Tigris uses.

I *really* know what you mean. I have been there 1 year ago. ;-)

> >You mean forrest:contract?
> >http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-contracts.html
> >

> I think I've digested those instructions and have it working now, with
> the poorly-conceived document() usage. :)

Actually it is possible but ...

> >no. What you are trying to do is *not* the best way to work with views.
> >
> >You are using for http://www.cfas.org/
> >
> >...but that is not the original tigris skin. You have added some
> >xsl-templates or custom content to it.
> >
> >I imagine that you would like to keep the tigris style so actually what
> >you have to do is creating a tigris view and keeping your css. That way
> >you only need to refactor your custom site2xhtml.xsl and extract the
> >custom modification into a contract (see the views howto). We are doing
> >this for pelt as well right now but the code is not yet in our svn.
> >

> I would like to emulate the modified-Tigris skin but I wanted to get
> *something* working before trying to customize it.

:)

>   Unfortunately I'm
> not that good with CSS and the way things are put together in Forrest,
> yet.

The tigris-CSS (with some tweaks) should be reusable for your purpose.
Let me ask, have you done the modification to the tigris skin? If so
then you are ready to go in terms of needed internals.

> The production site will only be static for the foreseeable future
> so David's concerns, while valid, don't currently apply.  That said, I'm
> getting rid of document() as I write this reply.

:)

> >So instead of trying to include a file you have to create contracts.
> >There is a way to include different content but you should not use it.

I should have ask you for an example of the file that you want to
include. Please parse an example of the "extra.xml".

> I think I'm going to play with keeping the content in the main page and
> coerce CSS into putting it where I want it.  Much of the information is
> modified at the same time and keeping it in one file is preferable.

Please parse an example of the "extra.xml"

In your example you have:
<xsl:template name="extra-info-body">
              <xsl:for-each
select="document('../../../cfas-new/src/documentation/content/xdocs/extra.xml')">

        <xsl:comment>+
            |start extra-info
            +</xsl:comment>
               <xsl:copy-of select="document/*"/>
        <xsl:comment>+
            |end extra-info
            +</xsl:comment>

              </xsl:for-each>
            </xsl:template>

Is that plain html that you copy here?

BTW why are you using
xsl:for-each
select="document('../../../cfas-new/src/documentation/content/xdocs/extra.xml')

> >thx for using views.
> >

> Thanks to the Forrest crew for creating them!

Help is always welcome here. ;-)
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"