forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: easy wincvs updates
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 02:17:38 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Sean Hower wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I thought I'd start
here.

> > We're using WinCVS and I've got my Forrest site checked in. Now, when I update and
generate, Forrest is overwriting all existing files. So, if I make a change to one file and
regenerate, I have to check in all files. This, of course, is no fun and I want a better way
to handle update checkins.

> Hmm, you are using cvs for your cooperate site, right? I ask because
> forrest is using SVN (which *not* the same)! I am not using wincvs so I
> do not know whether is possible for SVN as well but I imagine (the name
> winCVS) that no.
>
> The automate way would be done by the forrestbot that Ross mentioned in
> his other post.

I almost sent a similar reply to you Thorsten. Then i re-read
Sean's mail. I think that he is talking about the "generated"
files. Just like we store the generated website for the Forrest
in the separate repository .../forrest/site/

Sean, when you do 'forrest', does it generate the files directly into
your cvs working copy, rather than generating into the build/site/
directory then copying the files over? Or perhaps you have build/site/
actually checked into CVS?

If so, try doing 'cvs update' after forrest has finished. That should
correct the CVS timestamps so that it does not think that the files
have changed.

SVN is smart enough to know that the files haven't changed
even though the file timestamp is newer.

-David